Accidents With Uninsured Drivers Demand Strong Action
Our lawyers can fight for your rights and demand the money you deserve
Car accidents caused by uninsured drivers in Indiana can be complicated legal cases. Knowing what to do after such an accident can be overwhelming. Even knowing what your options are might not be clear. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to someone who fully understands how the legal system works here in Indiana. That’s why we want to meet with you.
Our dedicated team of trial lawyers at Glaser & Ebbs has more than 100 years of combined legal experience. We thoroughly understand Indiana’s insurance laws. We know how insurance companies think and how to effectively deal with them. We regularly represent clients in court and can take legal action on your behalf if necessary.
Who pays for accidents caused by uninsured drivers?
If your accident was caused by an uninsured driver, you can often file a claim with your own insurance company if you have uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. Most drivers in Indiana have UM coverage. Insurance companies are required to offer UM coverage to all drivers in Indiana. You must specifically refuse UM coverage in writing.
In addition, you can also directly seek financial compensation for your crash by taking legal action against the at-fault driver. However, it’s important to note than many drivers who do not have car insurance often do not have enough financial assets (house, money in checking account or savings account, etc.) to pay for accident-related expenses.
In certain circumstances, you may also seek compensation from other at-fault parties. These parties may include:
- The manufacturer of the vehicle that caused your accident if a mechanical defect contributed to your crash
- The bar, restaurant or package store that sold alcohol to the driver who caused your crash if the driver was under the influence of alcohol when they purchased alcohol, then got behind the wheel of their car and caused your collision
Don’t simply assume there’s no way to obtain the money you deserve in a crash caused by an uninsured driver. Talk to a lawyer who can help you explore all your legal options.
What options are available to me?
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, there may be several options available to you for obtaining the compensation you deserve for your accident-related expenses. Such options may include:
- Accept a settlement offer from your insurance company.
- Negotiate a better settlement offer with your insurance company.
- Pursue a legal claim against the at-fault party or parties.
- File a lawsuit against your own insurance company, particularly if they have denied your claim or made a lowball settlement offer.
In each case, your attorney can help you explore each one of these options and help you decide which approach makes the most sense for your case.
How can a lawyer help?
When you have an experienced attorney on your side, you can take an aggressive approach right from the start. Some of the ways a lawyer can help you if you’re dealing with an accident caused by an uninsured driver include:
- Thoroughly investigate your crash to determine which options are available to you
- Deal directly with your insurance company or any other insurance companies involved in your crash
- Negotiate a settlement offer on your behalf, usually with your own insurance company if you have UM coverage
- File a lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary, to obtain the compensation you deserve
Accidents caused by uninsured motorists can be complicated legal cases. Your own insurance company will likely have at least one lawyer representing them and their best interests. Don’t assume that your insurance company wants what’s best for you. They’re a business and often only care about their bottom line, which often means paying you as little as possible or nothing at all. That’s not right. That’s why you need an aggressive legal team fighting for you.
Take a stand after your accident. Contact our law firm.
Our law firm has a well-earned reputation in Fort Wayne and throughout Indiana for being tough attorneys who stand up for their clients’ rights. We don’t back down when insurance companies play hard ball. We know how to take them on and fight to win.
Put your trust in a law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys after your car accident. We have offices in Fort Wayne and other locations conveniently located throughout Indiana.