Personal Injury Lawyer
Fort Wayne·Indianapolis, Indiana

William Shatner TV Spokesperson

Fort Wayne(260) 424-0954
Fort Wayne(260) 424-0954
Indianapolis(317) 636-5211
Indianapolis(317) 636-5211

How To Report A Car Accident In Indiana

After car accident

Learn how the process works and how a car accident attorney can help if you've been injured.

If you have been involved in a serious car accident in Indiana with another vehicle, you are required by law to report the crash in most cases. This might sound simple. But it’s important that drivers know how the process works. That way, there are no mistakes or anything that could potentially impact someone’s car accident injury claim.

The Indiana car accident attorneys at Glaser & Ebbs, Attorneys At Law, know how the process works. That’s because we have been helping injury victims and their families deal with serious collisions throughout Indiana for decades.

Do drivers have to report all car accidents in Indiana?

In most cases, drivers have to report motor vehicle accident collisions in Indiana. This requirement is included in Indiana Code 9 -26. Under this state law, drivers must immediately report all car accidents in Indiana “as soon as possible after the accident” that meet the following criteria:

  • At least $1,000 in property damage due to the collision.
  • The collision involved property, and the property owner cannot be tracked down at the time of the crash.
  • The car accident resulted in an injury or death.

This means that drivers must call 911, the nearest local police department, or the nearest Indiana State Police barracks. Often, most drivers call 911. That way, the police dispatcher can notify the nearest law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over the car accident.

How long do I have to report a car accident in Indiana?

Along with notifying the police immediately after your car accident, you may also be required to file an accident report with the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles. The only time you do not need to do so is if your collision is considered a “minor accident.” If you’re unsure, simply talk to an Indiana auto accident attorney for advice.

In most cases, drivers have 10 days from the date of the accident to submit their crash report with the Indiana BMV. In the report, the driver must include the following information:

  • Date, time, and location of the accident.
  • The driver’s name and address.
  • Driver’s license information.
  • Information about the driver’s vehicle.
  • Name of law enforcement officers who responded to the collision.
  • The driver’s insurance information.

Submitting this report is often an important part of the process of being financially compensated for your accident. If you do not submit a crash report, your car accident claim might be denied.

Do I have to notify my insurance company about my accident?

Yes. However, you might want to talk to a lawyer before you call your insurance company. Even if your accident seems straightforward and the other driver was clearly at fault, it’s always best to fully understand your legal rights.

This is especially true if there’s any doubt about who was at fault or situations in which you might need to file a car accident claim seeking compensation from your own insurance company. For example, you might need to file an accident claim with your insurance company if you were involved in a hit-and-run accident or a collision with an uninsured driver.

What happens if I don’t report my car accident?

Failure to report a car accident that meets the requirements outlined in Indiana Code 9-26 can have serious consequences. Depending on the circumstances of your collision (for example, was there a serious injury or fatality?), the driver could be charged with a Misdemeanor, which could result in jail time and other serious consequences.

Contact an Indiana car accident attorney for help.

Reporting a car accident in Indiana is an important part of the compensation process for injury victims. If you don’t report your car crash in a timely manner, you might not get the money you deserve for your injury-related expenses. You could also face serious criminal charges depending on the circumstances of your crash.

Make sure you fully understand your legal rights. Make sure you talk to an experienced Indiana car accident lawyer at Glaser & Ebbs, Attorneys At Law. We can answer your questions, explain your options and get right to work on your case, including helping you file a car accident report if necessary.

Contact our law firm and schedule a free consultation with a Fort Wayne car accident attorney you can trust. We have six offices conveniently located throughout Indiana, including offices in Fort Wayne and Indianapolis. In addition, we work on a contingency fee basis. That means you only have to pay us if we secure a financial settlement or verdict for you.

Categories: Posts
Fort Wayne

132 E Berry St
Fort Wayne, IN 46802
(260) 424-0954


845 S Meridian St #1000
Indianapolis, IN 46225
(317) 636-5211


103 N 2nd St
Decatur, IN 46733
(260) 728-9997


107 E Market St
Warsaw, IN 46580
(574) 269-3634


812 N Lima Rd
Kendallville, IN 46755
(260) 242-5253

Case Consultation
Click Here