- Hip Implants: Tissue death, bone erosion, and extreme pain are some of the problems caused by the defective DePuy hip implant. In November 2017, six patients were awarded $247 million after a jury found that DePuy parent company Johnson & Johnson lied about the Pinnacle hip implant. In 2013, The New York Times reported that Johnson & Johnson knew an all-metal hip implant would fail within five years in nearly 40 percent of patients who had the surgery.
- Shoulder Implants: Zimmer Biomet has recalled three separate shoulder implants since 2010 because of patients who complained of severe pain, infection and permanent loss of shoulder function.
- Knee Implants: DePuy was back in the news earlier this year when a man sued after his Attune knee replacement failed, causing severe pain and two follow-up surgeries. This followed a 2017 study by the Journal of Knee Surgery, which found that the Attune knee arthroplasty system experiences an “unusually high” rate of early failure of its tibial components. Patients complained of pain, loss of motion and effusion of body fluids.
Signs and Symptoms of Implant Failure
There are many adverse effects of orthopedic device failure. If you’re worried about a potentially faulty device, here are some signs to look for:
- Pain and/or swelling at the location of the implant
- Impaired mobility
- Loosening of the implant
- Fracture in the surrounding areas
- Symptoms associated with metal poisoning if your implant is metal-on-metal: Skin rash, cardiomyopathy, sudden neurological or psychological changes, impairment of renal function, thyroid dysfunction
If you have any type of medical device in your body, be sure to check if it has been recalled by the FDA. Finally, if you think that a faulty orthopedic implant has affected you or someone you love, don’t hesitate to consider legal advice. Painful complications, follow-up surgeries, and excessive medical bills should not be the price you pay for the mistakes of device makers.
The Indiana Personal Injury Attorneys at Glaser & Ebbs are skilled at representing clients and their family members injured in personal injury accidents. It often takes legal action to receive fair compensation in these cases. Contact Glaser & Ebbs to learn more about your legal rights and options.
source: let America know